The Wood Dale Volunteer Fire Department was initially established in 1937 by 6 local residents. These residents, along with others, financed and purchased a fire station just off the corner of Wood Dale and Irving Park Road (Currently the Wood Dale Post Office). The department stayed volunteer until 1972, when it became full-time and the name changed to The Wood Dale Fire Protection District No. 1. The original station was sold to the government and two stations were built on each side of the city, which is divided by a set of rail road tracks.